Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Email Pitfalls – The Addict Speaks Out

I am an email addict. There - I've said it.

I love email. I love it so much, I seldom find myself going more than a few minutes without clicking that "send and receive" button just to see if there is anything new that my automatic download didn't catch 2 minutes ago.

The problem is, my like and dislike of email are close to the same thing...instant communication.

What I love about email:

Email is a tool to allow instant communication of ideas, request and deliver information and collaborate with others on projects, community organizations or even to chat with family and friends who don't live next door!

What I don't love about email:


Because email is a tool for allowing instant communication, there is the expectation that email will be read and responded to immediately. In many cases, this can cause undue stress and strain on an average information worker's daily rituals. Because others expect us to respond immediately, we feel we just HAVE to reply as soon as the email magically appears in our inbox causing us to spend time and energy on things that may not be quite so important as things like, say "Customer Service".

I'm learning to make better use of my email application of choice so that SPAM and Junk messages get into a junk folder and I deal with them on a weekly basis (unless I find the time to sift through that folder in the evenings...but really I have much better things to do with my time.

With the increase in cool and effective instant communication tools, I am finding other ways to amuse myself...while I no longer click the send and receive button every two minutes, I do find other ways to work with those around me so that when I need a quick answer or input from someone and they are available, I use Instant Messages instead.

Using MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger allow me to keep my email clutter free while I assist others in doing the same thing. I keep copies of my conversations (especially those work related messages) for future reference just like I archive my email, but most importantly, I find I'm saving time for all the really important things in life - like BLOGGING.

Well - It's been a whole ten minutes without email or messaging so I really feel I need to get my fix...oh yeah, that and my coffee cup is empty - go figure!

No comments: