Thursday, February 28, 2008

Heroes Do Happen Here

I was so excited to be involved in the Heroes Happen Here event that took place February 27, 2008 at the Direct Energy Building in downtown Toronto.

Microsoft puts on a great event – and this particular launch of the Server 2008 products was no different.

I volunteered at the event in the User Group area. It was the official launch not only of Windows Server 2008, Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server 2008, but also the debut of the new IT Pro Toronto community group! This event was my third time connecting with the IT Pro community in the User Group area, and I would do it again without hesitating.

Joining me at the booth were Russell – who I spent the majority of the day with, and Simone and Dom. Russell and I were so busy speaking to both the IT Pro and Developer attendees that we didn't have a chance to attend the breakout sessions we wanted, but I've been assured that I will have access to the content at some time down the road! It's a good thing too because I know I missed some fantastic discussions.

The first meeting for the Hip New user group is Tuesday March 18 – from 6pm to 9pm. You can get details (eventually) at www.itprotoronto.ca. The topic is Virtualization.

To those who stopped to chat with us we appreciate your time, and we really do want to see you out at the IT Pro event in March. If you were not able to attend the event, I will post links to the content when I receive them.

ABOUT THE COMMUNITY

I am a real advocate for the IT Pro community, and I was very excited to be involved in a discussion on Tuesday night at a community event prior to the launch focusing on the future of the IT Pro's career. I was honoured to be asked to facilitate one of the many discussion corners.

My group had an open floor discussion on why IT Pros are leaving their careers, what needs to be done to assist IT Pros in retaining their careers, and what we can do to help the future IT Pros decide on a course of action and career in IT and actually go for it!

There was lots of chatter about potential changes to the education system, how technology focused companies could donate their technologies to educational facilities like colleges and universities so that students can learn on what is new and upcoming rather than what is old, outdated and soon to be put to rest. Other conversation focused on the need for sponsorship, cooperative opportunities and mentoring not only for the new kids on the block, but also for those fossils that have for one reason or another been pigeonholed into working with a technology that eventually will not be of value to either them or their employers.

In all my years (4) of working with IT Professionals in a group environment, I have NEVER seen so much communication and discussion – which continued even after the breakout sessions were over! It was wonderful.

Now I'm off to type up my notes on the event and pass them along to the TechNet team to share the ideas and comments generated during the sessions.

When the tour comes to your community – get involved – have your say – get heard!

No comments: